Friday, May 8, 2009

My Friend on May 8, 2009


2 or 3 times a day Choya and I walk across the road from our house. He can now only walk down the sidewalk a few houses until he does his business. We then slowly walk home, at times looking at each other, remembering the times we have had together over the years. When we get back to the front door, sometimes I have to help him up the steps and into the house. We don't take Choya to the park anymore as it is too difficult for him to get in and out of the van. He also cannot walk very far where he use to walk at the park since we started taking him there in 1999.

Choya has taken to laying in the corner of the dining room under the dining table. I guess he feels safe in that corner. At times, it is not too difficult to see the pain in his eyes as he lays down and goes to sleep.

3 comments:

  1. Peter I have collies and once as a teen I had a wonderful Golden Retriever named Boomerang. I have been following Choya's progress and decline. I understand your pain..I know you have done and will continue to do everything you can for Choya..including make a very hard decision when Choya 'asks' you too. I share your pain and send prayers for continued strength for you so you can do what is best for Choya, when the time comes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Peter,
    Truly I understand how you feel and how Choya must feel. Even though he is in pain he still wants to be your faithful companion, the one you had to rely on for so many years. I agree with Darlene, you will know what to do when the time comes. Remember sometimes we tend to do what is best for “us” and not for them.
    My prayers are with you and I wish you lots of courage for the days, weeks or months to come.
    Sylvie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I stumbled across your blog by chance and my heart breaks for you, Choya and your family. I understand to some extent the relationship you share with Choya as I am a volunteer puppy raiser, I understand no matter the bond people have with their pets it's far surpassed by the bond created through the partnership of a person and a working service dog. My heart goes out to you and yours!

    Ally & Eola (7 month old female golden retriever SDIT)

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for Visting Choya’s Den

Choya, thank you for the timeless journey we took together and the many memories. Until we meet again my friend.


In October 2005 at the age of 6, Choya was trained and certified as a service dog for Peter. Choya retired in December 2008 and he passed the leash to Kiche to become Peter’s new service dog.

Choya became ill in February 2009 and in July after a heroic battle with his illness, he passed on to the Rainbow Bridge. Choya will be greatly missed by Peter and by the many who knew him.